Safety Razor - Shave Profile
This term is used to describe how your Razor will shave.
"Shave Profile" is a reference to a combination of:
- Blade Gap - measured between the Cutting edge of the blade and the razor guard.
- Blade Exposure - measured by how far the blade extends past the protective plates.
Blade Gap + Blade Exposure = Shave Profile ~ and is displayed as a value out of 10
- 1/10 being the Minimum Gap & Blade Exposure.
- The smaller the blade exposure the milder the shave, with less risk of nicks. Good for quick shave and a younger beard.
- 10/10 being the Maximum Gap & Blade Exposure.
- The larger the blade exposure the more emphasis on technique is required but the shave will be closer and better with tough beards.
For a great shave that's close, select a Safety Razor with Minimal Shave Profile ( Min: 1-3/10). Any Safety Razor that has the Mellon Head is a great choice.
Once you have developed good technique a Safety Razor with a Medium Shave Profile ( Medium: 4-6/10) will give you an even closer shave.
The higher Shave Profile heads are rarely sold as a complete razors. But thankfully we have a select few, or you can purchase these heads and fit them onto your existing handles.